As you know, there are few things worse than being charged with a crime, especially a misdemeanor or a felony crime. Upon conviction, you’ll likely have to go to jail or prison and face crippling fines, among other immediate consequences. That said, you should be equally concerned about the long-term consequences of developing a criminal record. Please continue reading and reach out to our knowledgeable Bergen County criminal defense lawyer to learn more about the long-term consequences of obtaining a criminal record here in the state of New Jersey.
What are the long-term consequences of getting a criminal record?
Having a criminal record is bound to hold you back and restrict your life in a variety of ways. Just some of the potential penalties of developing a criminal record are as follows:
- If you were convicted of a sex crime, such as sexual assault or child molestation, you will have to register as a sex offender under Megan’s Law, which will make it hard for you to find housing, and, when you do, the neighborhood will likely be alerted when you move in.
- You will most likely find it very difficult to gain employment.
- You may no longer be eligible to receive certain loans.
- You may lose your driver’s license, depending on the crime you committed.
- You may no longer be allowed to possess a firearm.
- If you are a non-citizen, you may face deportation from the United States.
As you can see, the various consequences of a criminal record are severe, which is why it’s always best to hire a knowledgeable legal team who can fight your charges from the start. The Law Office of Boyd & Squitieri is prepared to fight your criminal charges at every turn to help ensure you can go on to live a free and prosperous life. All you need to do is pick up the phone and give us a call today so we can get started working on your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
The Law Office of Boyd & Squitieri prides itself on providing our clients with the competent, honest, and effective legal advice they deserve. Whether you are facing sex crime charges, require assistance filing for bankruptcy, or are looking to go through the foreclosure mediation process, you can depend on us to fight for your rights through every step of the process going forward. Contact the Law Office Boyd & Squitieri today to learn more about how our legal team can help you.